Indigestion is a problem that has no specific reason behind its occurrence and takes place due to irregular or improper food habits. This is a condition when the stomach starts releasing excess acid. In general, it is expected that the stomach will release acid because the food is broken with the acid realized here but excess of anything is not good. When this situation takes place the problem arises. The common symptoms of indigestion are stomach ache, irritation in the stomach, pain, etc, and the common causes are smoking, drinking, insufficient water intake, etc.
As per the doctor’s recommendation, one can take antacid but in research and program in Goa under the 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh, it has been seen that there is some yoga asana that can maintain the acid release from the body hence helping in indigestion problem. Today we shall discuss five such yoga poses to cure indigestion. These poses are very simple and easy to do and also have other benefits for the body rather than just the indigestion problem.
Supta Badhakonasana/ Reclining Butterfly Pose-
This asana works directly in the lower portion of one’s body and hence is very much beneficial for indigestion problems. Some other benefit of the butterfly pose is that it cools down one’s body releasing all the negative energy that you have. Best asana or pose for indigestion as it stimulates the stomach muscles and hormonal glands as well. Girls having PCOS or PCOD can also use this asana for treating that problem. This pose will also help you with your back and knee problem to some extent.
- Lie down on the floor straight and relax your body for about 30 seconds.
- The feet and arms must be extended.
- Now slowly bend the knee and the sole of the feet must touch each other.
- The heels should slowly come and touch the pelvic area.
- The hands must be as usual by your side rested.
- Hold this position for a minute and then slowly realize.
Vajrasana/ Thunderbolt pose-
The Vajrayasana is something that works wonderfully for any of your stomach-related problems. This can also be considered as a magic potion and the 300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh has the thunderbolt pose in every course. Doing this asana after having any meal works pretty well and improves the food digestion process. This asana is believed to increase the blood circulation in the stomach which in a way results in the digestion process. This asana is one of the simplest asanas in the yoga world and just takes few minutes to do so. The best part here is you can do other kinds of stuff and works and well while you are doing this asana.
- Sit on the floor or the ground casually.
- Slowly bend your knees and sit on top of your bent legs.
- The feet should be flat on the ground at this position.
- Next brings your hands and keep them on the legs.
- Keep the back straight and tight and look forward straight.
- Hold this position for at least 3 to 5 minutes and then slowly realize.
Paschimottanasana/Forward Bend Pose-
This pose works directly on the abdominal organs and is an excellent pose for digestion. The forward bend pose regulates the hormones which release the acids and other enzymes and in order maintains the digestion process. The forward bend pose is also helpful for treating fatty tummies and any problems that one may have due to their menstrual issue. Thus when doing this pose you will be benefitted in more than one way.
- Sit on the ground and stretch your legs in front of you.
- Bend slowly and hold the feet with your hands. Bens as much as possible and do not force yourself into things.
- Next, try and touch the knees with your nose.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds to one minute.
- Slowly get up and realize.
Marjaryasana/ Cat/Cow Pose-
This pose works best for both digestion as well as for the back and knees. The pose generates and emphasizes the blood circulation in the body and massages the digestive organs. Also, the pose relaxes the body and stretches it to a great extend. This pose is simple and you will learn this in the beginner level 100 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh. Anyone can do this pose easily and the pose helps in solving the problem of indigestion and irritation in the stomach.
- Fold your legs and keep your hands in the front and be in a position of a dog on your all fours.
- Next, inhale and lift the chin along with the tail bone.
- Then push the belly or stomach towards the floor.
- Next, exhale and round the spine towards the floor along with the head and tail bone facing the ground.
- At this position, the pubic bone should be also facing the ground downward.
- Then slowly return to the original position.
- Continue this process slowly at least 5 – 10 times daily.
Ardha Matsyendrasana/Half Spinal twist/ Half Lord of the Fishes pose-
One of the best solutions for indigestion problem cure has to be the detoxification of the body. This pose is the best pose for detoxification of the body along with great blood circulation and improving the digestion rate in your body. When these things are treated properly the indigestion problem will automatically reduce and you will get a solution.
- Keep your legs in front of you and sit straight.
- Keep the hands by your side and the spines have to be stiff and straight.
- Fold one of the legs and bring that leg near your opposite foot near the pelvic area.
- The other foot must be near the opposite knee.
- Now twist the upper portion of the body and bring the hand to the opposite knees.
- Hold this position for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Slowly release and relax.
All these five poses are the most beneficial pose in curing indigestion. You need to also improve your eating habits to get better results. Also, all these poses must not be forces at any point in time. Try these poses early in the morning and only the thunderbolt pose after meal for the best results.
Related Blog: Yoga before bed