The windshield is one of the most important components of a vehicle. It is designed to protect the driver and passengers from flying debris and soaring wind. A windshield also protects you from a collision. Therefore, a chipped or cracked windshield is hazardous as it increases the probability of further damage and may become faulty during the time of a crash. A windshield that is damaged can easily shatter upon the impact. The windshield, when shattered, sends thousands of glass pieces inside the car. These sharp pieces can cause severe injuries to the eyes and skin and damage the car’s interior. So, it is of utmost importance to ensure that your windshield is safe and secure.
Repair or replace
It is important to assess whether to replace or repair the windshield. First, look at the size of the crack or chip on your windshield. If the crack is less than 10 inches and the chip is about the size of a nickel, then the windshield doesn’t need to be replaced. A chip or crack of that size doesn’t compromise the integrity of the windshield. However, all of this is circumstantial, and it depends upon the type of damage the windshield has. As soon as you find a big crack in your windshield, it is wise to opt for Windshield replacement in Calgary or wherever you live. However, small chips and cracks can be repaired with the help of some household items.
Types of cracks
More minor cracks and chips can be repaired as a part of car detailing packages. Auto detailing in Calgary and many other cities offer detailing packages, have a look in your city. Following are the types of cracks in a windshield:
● Bull’s eye
Damage caused to the windshield by a circular object (e.g., rock or something with cone tipped shape) on the outside.
● Rock chip
Damage to the windshield is caused by fly debris or small rocks from other vehicles.
● Crack chip
When a quarter-sized carack covers the impact point, it is then known as a crack chip.
● Combination break
When a windscreen has multiple impact points, it is then called a combination break. E.g., chip surrounded by cracks.
This is the slang term used instead of chip.
● Floater crack
A crack that is in the middle of the windshield.
● Eagle crack
A crack that appears on the windshield is within 2 inches from the edges. Afterward, it usually spreads towards the other side of the screen.
Damage caused by the rock. Although it is similar to the bull’s eye damage, it is not entirely circular.
● Stone break
A small chip occurs when a stone or other hard object hits the windshield.
● Stress crack
This is a crack that appears on the windscreen when nothing physically touches the screen. It can occur due to rapid temperature changes. For example, leaving the car in direct sunlight for an extended period in hot weather and turning on the air conditioning when you drive can cause the stress crack.
DIY windshield repair
The DIY repair method is a temporary solution. First, you will have to take your vehicle to a professional auto glass repair in Calgary or wherever you live for proper fix and final evaluation. A professional will check the integrity of the windshield and will conclude whether to replace the windshield. However, repairing the windshield with household items lying around is a short-term fix and temporary prevention to stop further damage. Some of the methods to repair your windshield at home are listed below.
1. Clear Nail polish
When flying debris or small rocks takes a chip on the windshield, the damage may be minimal initially. But, soon, this damage can cause long and large cracks that stretch across the entire surface. Those looking for a quick temporary solution can do it from the products found in the cosmetic aisle. Simple fingernail polish is enough to do the job. It acts as an adhesive that can be used to prevent the cracks from spreading further.
Ensure the following steps to repair the windshield:
- Move the car into the shaded area to prevent the nail polish from drying quickly.
- Pick up a nail polish brush and load it heavily with polish enough to cover the crack.
- Apply the polish throughout the crack and fill the hole with an even layer. Then, apply it to the ends of the crack that is starting to form.
- Apply the nail polish on the crack from inside the glass. This further fortifies the cracked area.
- Move your car to the sun once the coating has been applied to dry the nail polish. This will create an adhesive and will prevent the crack from spreading any further.
Another method to prevent further damage to the windshield is using super glue. This method has similar steps to the nail polish method. But please ensure to follow these:
- Grab a pair of scissors to open the glue carefully.
- Make sure not to get any glue on your hand as it is very difficult to remove.
- Use cotton swabs to make it spread evenly on the cracks.
- Glue remover to remove extra glue from hands or windshield.
3. Make your mixture
Don’t worry if there is no access to nail polish or super glue. You can make your mixture at home that can help you fix the windshield.
To make your mixture, make sure to have:
- Bug repellent
- Rubbing alcohol
The process may be lengthy to make the mixture, but it will do the trick to fix your windshield temporarily. Follow these steps to make the mixture:
- Mix ½ cup of water with 1 tbsp of salt and 1 tbsp of bug repellent.
- Then add 1 tbsp of rubbing alcohol and mix all of the thoroughly until the salt is completely dissolved and is no longer visible.
- When the mix is ready, take the sponge and soak it in the mixture.
- Take the wet sponge and apply it to the crack. Allow the crack to dry for 2-3 hours.
- Retake a look, and if the crack is still visible, repeat the steps until the crack is no longer visible.
There may be many options and methods for repairing windscreen cracks. But the DIY methods, including nail polish, super glue, and a DIY mix, are the best temporary methods out there to fix the windshield. These DIY methods can be used to quickly fix the problems at home. Then, when the damages are irreparable, go for windshield replacement in Calgary or wherever you live without any second thought.